Are you a student interested in opening your first checking account? Or are you an adult looking for a better checking account? In either case, our Starter Checking account is a great choice.
You’ll get everything you need to bank better.
Here’s what you can expect with this account:
Important Account Information for Starter Checking
My account is overdrawn. I thought I could not overdraft my Starter Checking account?
Although we won’t authorize transactions – such as ATM withdrawals, debit card purchases, or recurring debit card transactions – when you don’t have enough money in your account to cover them when they are presented to us for authorization, certain transactions or account activity may result in a negative balance. For example, if you add a tip to a transaction after we’ve approved the transaction without the tip OR if we credit a deposit that is later returned unpaid, you may see a negative balance in your account. If this occurs, we won’t assess an overdraft fee, but you need to repay the negative amount promptly.
What overdraft setting is applied to my Starter Checking account?
We do not authorize or pay any transaction unless we determine that at the time of the transaction you appear to have enough available funds in your account to cover the transaction. This means that we will decline or return these transactions unpaid. You may be assessed a fee by the merchant if this happens. Overdraft protection is an optional service which allows you to link back up accounts such as your savings and can help you avoid overdrafts and declined or returned items. When you do not have enough funds in your checking account to pay for an item, available funds are automatically transferred from the backup account(s) to cover your transactions at no fee. Courtesy Pay is not available for this account.
What happens if a merchant wants to use my account and routing number for a payment?
Use caution when giving out your account and routing number to an originator that you authorize to process debits from your account. At times, an originator may process payments as a check and submit it to us instead of an ACH transaction. Those checks may be rejected and not paid. You may be charged a fee by the originator if this happens. Make sure this information is for an ACH transaction only. You may want to ask if the merchant can use your debit card number instead.
How do I pay my bills if I don’t have checks? What if I need to write a check?
You can pay bills and make payments with your debit card, wire transfer, or an ACH transaction. If you need to write checks on a frequent basis and these alternatives do not work for you, please consider a traditional checking account that offers this capability. Cashier’s checks are also available for a fee at any of our locations.
What if I need to provide a voided check for direct deposit?
Since this account does not include checks, you cannot produce a voided check. You can provide the account and routing number and indicate that it is a checking account so direct deposit can be set up. You can complete the printable direct deposit form located on our website or ask us for the form that you can provide to your employer.
All accounts subject to approval. Restrictions and limitations apply. Other miscellaneous fees apply. See Rate and Fees for more information.
1. *There is a $4.95 Monthly Service Fee. Monthly fee is waived with Direct Deposit of $250/month OR no monthly fee if the primary member is under the age of 25. If requirements are not met, the fee will be assessed by the 6th of the following month. New and converted accounts will not be charged a Monthly Service Fee for sixty (60) days. After that the Monthly Service Fee will apply unless you meet one of the ways to avoid the Monthly Service Fee each statement period (if applicable). When the primary account owner reaches the age of 25, age can no longer be used to avoid the monthly service fee. A deposit of $25.00 is required to open.
2. Premier Members Mobile app (not available to those under the age of 13) is available for select mobile devices. Message and data rates may apply.
3. You may be charged fees for using non-PMCU ATMs by both PMCU and the ATM owner/network. See the Account Agreement Disclosure for details.
4. Account is not eligible for Courtesy Pay. We will decline or return transactions when you do not have enough money in your account to cover the charge. However, you could still end up with a negative balance if, for example, a transaction is approved for one amount, but then the actual charge is more than what you have in your account (like when you add a tip at a restaurant after the transaction for the meal that was already approved). Even if you have a negative balance, we will not charge you an overdraft fee, however; you may be assessed a fee by the merchant if this happens. You must immediately pay the amount of any overdraft along with any fees that apply.
5. Special Provisions for Card Transactions: PMCU will reimburse unauthorized debit card transactions when reported promptly. Certain limitations apply. See Account Agreement Disclosure for details.
6. Account Alerts: There’s no charge from PMCU, but message and data rates may apply. Delivery of alerts may be delayed for various reasons, including service outages affecting your phone, wireless or internet provider, technology failures, and system capacity limitations. Any time you review your balance, keep in mind it may not reflect all transactions including recent debit card transactions.
7. If you convert from another checking account with check writing ability to a Starter account, any outstanding check(s) presented on the new account on or after the date of conversion will be returned unpaid. The payee may charge additional fees when the check is returned. Make sure that any outstanding checks have been paid and/or you have made different arrangements with the payee(s) for the checks you have written before converting to the Starter account.